Tuesday, February 10, 2009

YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT... AND DRINK

I was invited to participate in a Job Readiness Program recently, and have been doing so for the past two weeks, where we explore the ever changing economic circumstances, examine new job trends and various related strategies amongst other things.  It is always a great idea to broaden our knowledge especially in these uncertain times. During the course of each day I couldn't help noticing that the woman to my right,Wanda, simply could not keep her eyes open. She'd bundle herself up in her wrap and no matter how interesting the topics were the poor dear would just end up snoozin' away. Today, this was especially noticeable as she was completely oblivious to questions that were directed specifically towards her. 

Wanda and I ended up in the instructor's office after the session was over to review some key topics. Suddenly out of the blue she mentioned how exhausted she is all the time. Immediately Kathleen (the instructor) and I pointed out her poor eating habits as being the main reason for her barely there energy level. She wasn't quite sure what we meant at first then we gently reminded her that fast food was all we'd ever seen her eat during our group lunch breaks. Of course she was tired! She feeds her body with empty calories, a significant amount of fat, processed sugar, artificial colors etc... doesn't include much water in the mix and yet interestingly was not entirely sure as to why it hasn't been functioning as it should. 

Even while researching on the computer and jotting down notes Wanda continued to mention that she was in the process of searching for a physician to provide her with a weight loss routine as if that would miraculously snap her right back into optimum health. Nourishment is key we must make permanent changes to current eating habits if they are not for our highest good. Have you tuned in to your body today? Listen to it.

I'm not sure if my new friend is ready to commit to her body, mind and spirit to take necessary steps to care for herself through proper nutrition and regular exercise. As that was not the immediate resource she thought of looking into. We'll know for sure once lunch time rolls around. 

What can you do without in your diet? How many "big gulps" can you substitute for water during your day? When we take care of our bodies our bodies will take care of us. Not to mention that we will feel and look great! - a pretty good deal if you ask me.

I gave up late  dinners, now I'll blend a meal replacement shake* with a banana & some frozen fruit and call it a night. I tend to have even just that closer to 6pm rather that 8pm like I used tol. If I get a bit hungry later I allow myself a yogurt or a piece of fruit and listo! that usually does the trick. I've done so for 2 weeks and now I'm happy to report that my pants slide down a little during my yoga routine. 

*If this is something of interest to you check out www.procapslabs.com
This is what I have discovered works well for me, this particular product is less than 7o calories is additive free, very nutritious and is manufactured in an all solar facility. Can't beat that with a stick.
Oh! and it tastes good too. I prefer it mixed in w/OJ and water - of course.
 

No comments: